Parents as Resources:

As we all know, some of the best information that we receive is from other parents.  The primary questions that seem to reoccur as parents take the steps towards assisting their child reach adulthood revolve around: 

  • Education/Instruction

  • Career/Employment

  • Community/Social

  • Adult Living

  • Legal/guardianship/trust

  • Government Programs

Please contact Michelle Farrell to add information to these and other topics. 

Here are some of the questions and advice from parents who have taken this journey:


There are courses at local community colleges that adults with RTS can enroll in.  The best way to inquire is to engage in a dialogue with your local community college and one of the school’s guidance counselors.  They will be able to advise you and your child on how to get the most out of the college setting.


People with RTS can work.  At the state and local level there are many Public/Private Partnerships focused on bringing together people with disabilities to develop skills that can transfer to a more self sustaining life. 

Local community colleges will also be able to assist in a young person’s job hunt, training and preparing them for a work place environment. 


Often times it is difficult for a parent to explain to your adult person with RTS, what RTS is and what is means to them.  Parents should know there are support groups that assist them in overcoming these hurdles. 

  • How do I reach out to and connect with other families who have adult children living with RTS?

  • What social opportunities are available and how do you find them?

  • Explanation of syndrome that they can understand.

  • Can they be a parent?

  • Self Advocacy

 Adult Living

Some common questions parents might ask when seeking adult living facilities for young adults with a disability. 

  • What are the options for living arrangements?

  • Are group homes or assisted living facilities available?

  • Is an in-home caretaker available for disability expenses?

  • Can the parent be paid to be the adult with RTS’s assistant?



Government Programs

Medicaid’s Reference website, TheDesk, provides information about Medicaid for people with cognitive disabilities. 


The most common questions when beginning the Social Security application process are:

What is the process, and is my child eligible?

Here you will also find frequently asked questions posed by others, as well as other helpful websites and state by state assistance.

The State by State section assists parents in finding support and service groups from a person within the state and by community.

Case Management and Counseling Services will assist your search in finding supports and services, from a person who works for the state or county and provides help with your child’s behavior, feelings and problem solving so your child can live at home instead of an institution.

Adults with disabilities can also receive training to learn daily living skills so they can be more independent.

Transportation to and from medical services and activities in the community is available from the home to work and health care centers.