Katie Beckett Waiver a.k.a Deeming Waiver a.k.a. Children’s Medical Waiver a.k.a. Model 200 Medicaid Waiver

The Katie Beckett Waiver is a federal waiver that is intended for children from birth to eighteen years of age with a chronic disability.  It entitles children to Medicaid that would not otherwise qualify due to their parent’s financial status.  It originally was intended for children at risk of institutionalization.  But do not be scared off by the word, institutionalization, it does not mean you are thinking about placing your child in an institution, it just means your child has life long medical needs. 

Each state can determine whether or not they want to administer this waiver, and how they want to administer it.  Therefore, it varies greatly among the states and a few states do not choose to offer it.  You will have to contact your state agency to determine if it is available in your state.  T

The Katie Beckett Waiver can be extremely helpful to many families.  Most families struggle to pay their child’s medical bills and this waiver will cover these expenses.  The medical bills can be physician, hospital, therapy, prescriptions, respite care, diapers, vision and dental care, whatever Medicaid covers in that state.  In some states this Waiver entitles children to a life-time of unlimited therapy.  So, it is worth the hassle of finding out if your state offers this program and how to apply for it.

 The general procedure to apply for the Katie Beckett Waiver (again, this varies from state to state) is as follows:

 1.     Apply for SSI and be denied.  Ask them to send you a letter stating that you have been denied.

2.      Ask for an application for a Katie Beckett Waiver by contacting your Social Service office, (a.k.a Department of Family and Children Services a.k.a. Department of Developmental Disabilities).  You can also find the telephone number for your state’s Medicaid office, on the web site: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/home/medicaid.asp, and ask them where to call about the Katie Beckett Waiver.

3.      Complete the application.  Typically, you should provide only information about your child and not about your financial status.  Typically, your child’s physician will need to complete paperwork called the DMA-6 or some type of form that states your child’s disability.

4.      If you are denied, ask for an appeal.  Often they change their decision, and grant the waiver.  Sometimes, they put your child on a waiting list and years later they are approved.

It is always helpful if you have a caseworker or social worker helping you through this process.